Grief can result from many kinds of loss.
Our service works with the loss and grief associated with experiences such as:
- Death of partners, family members or friends
- Bereavement through suicide
- Separation and divorce
- Children leaving home
- Loss of health
- Living with disability
- Financial loss
- Fleeing one’s country as a refugee
- Adoption, foster care
- Natural disasters (e.g., bushfires, floods)
People need support as they face the challenging effects of grief. We offer assistance and support to grieving individuals through
- Individual or family counselling
- Information and resources
- Support groups
Grief is the normal emotional response to loss.
Finding a way through loss and grief can be quite confusing.
People need support as they face each of the many elements of grief which are often unfamiliar and surprising. They challenge people’s ways of coping, their view of themselves and of the world around them.
Grief changes us and with adequate support, can help us to grow as human beings.
The Loss and Grief Service is a program of Anglicare SA in partnership with the School of
Social Work at Flinders University.
The service was established in response to the diverse and ongoing needs of people who have experienced bereavement or other losses. We aim to extend, complement and support the current network of loss and grief services in South Australia.
Services for children include
- Individual counselling
- Star Bear program — camps and support for bereaved children
for young widowed people in need of support
- Homicide Victims Support Group
support for family and friends of homicide victims
- former British Child Migrants
Other Support Services
For 24 hour crisis support call 13 11 14.
Family and Community Service
Telephone AH 131 611
The service is staffed by qualified workers who have experience in the field of loss and grief.
Student activity is carried out under professional supervision. The service is supported by an advisory group of people from diverse professional, cultural and practice backgrounds.
Through our partnership with Flinders University, we support the education and training of volunteers, support workers, students and practitioners from various disciplines. Activities include
- Workshops and seminars
- Student placements
- Training and consultation
Loss and Grief Service goals
The Loss and Grief Service focuses on three main activities
- A range of services and responses to meet the needs of people who are grieving, and others affected by grief
- Education and training programs for students and practitioners
- Opportunities for research and enquiry about loss and grief issues
The Loss and Grief Service
Telephone (08) 8131 3400
Address 4–8 Angas Street
Kent Town SA 5067